Starting from the beginning of the 1990’s, G-SHOCK and BABY-G have been producing special models in collaboration with and in support of various different environmental organizations. From 2018 G-SHOCK and BABY-G will be endorsing and supporting the activities of AQUA PLANET, an NPO that works towards regeneration of coral reefs.
These new models incorporate semi-transparent materials to create motifs that recall the beautiful oceans of the world, along with the coral, fish, and other life forms that live there. Both the G-SHOCK and BABY-G models come in a choice of three colors: translucent ocean water blue, coral red (representing red coral, which some believe stimulates the bloodstream), and coral white (representing white coral, which some believe has metaphysical and healing properties). The small hand of the dial at 9 o’clock of the G-SHOCK models is shaped in the image of the brightly colored clown fish, while periphery of the dial at 9 o’clock of the BABY-G models also features clown fish colors.
The increasing severity of global warming and other environmental problems of recent years has brought increasing attention to the Earth’s life forms. These new models express the spirit to do what it takes to protect our beautiful oceans.
AQUA PLANET is an organization that conducts activities aimed at regenerating coral reefs, under the guidance of its chairperson, actress Ritsuko Tanaka.
Ms. Tanaka loves the seas of Okinawa, and she is currently serving as Okinawa Churashima Ambassador, Kume jima Island Tourist Ambassador, Ishigaki jima Coral Ambassador, and in other posts. She is particularly active in coral preservation and regeneration activities, as well as coral transplantation activities on the main land of Okinawa and the collaboration activities with coral cultivation on the Ishigaki jima Island.
- Case / bezel material: Resin
- Resin Band
- Shock Resistant
- Mineral Glass
- 200-meter water resistance
- LED light
- Auto light switch, selectable illumination duration (1.5 seconds or 3 seconds), afterglow
- World time
- 29 time zones (48 cities + coordinated universal time), daylight saving on/off, Home city / World time city swapping
- 1/1000-second stopwatch
- Measuring capacity: 99:59’59.999”
- Measuring modes: Elapsed time, lap time, split time
- Others: Speed (0 to 1998 units / hour), Distance input (0.0 to 99.9)
- Mach indicator (speed exceeding 1225 units / hour)
- Countdown timer
- Measuring unit: 1 second
- Countdown range: 24 hours
- Countdown start time setting range: 1 minute to 24 hours (1-minute increments and 1-hour increments)
- Other: Auto-repeat
- 5 daily alarms (with 1 snooze alarm)
- Hourly time signal
- Full auto-calendar (to year 2099)
- 12/24-hour format
- Regular timekeeping
- Analog: 2 hands (hour, minute (hand moves every 20 seconds)), 1 dial (speed)
- Digital: Hour, minute, second, pm, month, date, day
- Accuracy: ±15 seconds per month
- Approx. battery life: 2 years on CR1220